Friday, August 14, 2009

Holidays Finally!!

I am having doubts whether I would actually pass this exam. This morning,I was waiting outside the room for a long time for the examiner to let me in. I was like'' what is he doing?Dun tell me he's forgotten about me.'' Luckily, he remembered and opened the door. I was rushed to the seat and was asked to squirt some hand sanitizer on my hands. Then, the moment I had finished scrubbing the liquid around my fingers, he told me to begin..''What? So fast? I haven even touched the piano yet.Why does the keys look narrower than usual?''

When I asked him whether i could feel the piano, he said go ahead, but deep down, it sounded to me like ''Hurry up,you're wasting my time''..lol. So i only tried the piano for only ten seconds. Then while i played my scales, i was nervous as my fingers were frozen stiff and the piano keys were narrower than my piano's. So i ended up occasionally playing the wrong notes and slipping . When reached to one of the sections,my mind became blank and after playing different keys for that particular section, he said '' I keep asking you to play dominant sevens but you keep playing diminished sevens. Do you know what are dominant sevens?'' In my mind i was thinking'' Oh S***! i'm so screwed!'' But in the end, i managed to get it write, finally.

After scales he immediately asked me to start my pieces. Before i started, i looked up at him and saw the word''FAIL'' on his face. Thankfully, i managed to play all the pieces till the end. Bad news was, I screwed up the major sections for my first and second pieces. Then he asked me to sight read sum piece for only 30 seconds.. Before i could even think of how should i play it, he asked me to begin the song. It was seriously the pits... I couldn't think of the rhythm while playing. Later, i had my aural test. Sight singing was the worse for me. The beats he gave me were so fast i could barely recall the tune for the keys i was supposed to be singing. And the best part was, i was still singing even after he had finished playing the song and he was staring at me like he was going to laugh.. I too laughed, not because of my singing, but at the thought of failing. Then for the final aural part, he played a song while i was supposed to interpret it. He played so fast that i was stunned as i didnt not know how to interpret a 10 second song at such speed!!.. (actually it was also because i was busy admiring his finger work, it was really fast and smooth until i realised that i was supposed to interpret it) Then he asked me, ''Describe the harmony for this piece''.. I stared at him blankly.''What IS a harmony?'' ''I had never practiced this with my teacher before..'' Then he said'' Ok, in music there's a melody and a harmony'' (Still blank).. Then he played an example for me.. (Jaw dropped still staring idly).. I simply mentioned about the repetition and the modulations of the notes... Then he asked me the period and possible composer..''What!? you played so fast you expect me to know what period is this?'' I was about to say''I think'', but luckily i stopped myself in time.. I wasn't supposed to say that..So I ended up saying' 20th century, Bartok''

After that he said goodbye and have a nice day.. Translation,'' I hope you enjoy your day later today.. I am sorry I have to be the one to break the news that u played and answered poorly today and now i need the time to decide whether i should fail or pass you'' SWt... :(

After that. my parents drove me to college and i immediately registered for my universities. It was truly a horrifying experience for me.. I swear i would practice even harder than ever..

1 comment:

  1. Wow... that was long.. Hope you pass with flying colours! =)

    ReplyDelete